Bourbon Banana Bundt Cake with Macadamia Nuts

Recently I got the Instant Pot to use as a slow cooker and pressure cooker. I was only making savory dishes and didn't venture into the sweet side as I'm still a newbie to the IP. Everyone online raves how good it is to make cheesecakes but I really wanted to try banana bread as my first sweet dish via the pressure cooker. I saw a recipe online for a banana bundt cake and it sounded really simple but I thought I could kick up the flavor profile a bit as I do ;-). This turned out great and I think it will taste EVEN BETTER tomorrow. Goes well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and i'm sure a dollop of greek yogurt would be terrific too. I'm so happy I can make cakes without heating up my kitchen as I don't have any air conditioning!

BOURBON BANANA BUNDT CAKE
adapted from a Heidi Haas recipe


INGREDIENTS
3 medium over ripe bananas, mashed up using a fork
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp bourbon
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup chopped roasted macadamia nuts (you could use walnuts instead)

DIRECTIONS
1) In a medium bowl, combine flour through baking soda. Mix well and set aside. 
2) In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, butter, sugar until well combined. Add mashed bananas, vanilla, bourbon, and mix well. Add flour mixture, stir well then fold in the nuts.
3) Grease a 6 cup bundt pan with butter or cooking spray.
4) Put 1 cup of water into the bottom of the inner pot of the IP. Place a trivet inside so the bundt pan is not touching the bottom. You may want to use a foil sling to help you remove the bundt pan when it's done. 
5) Press the Manual setting (high pressure) for 25 minutes, then 10 minutes NPR. Remove the pan when done, let the cake rest for 5 minutes in the pan. Then you can transfer to a plate. 

NOTES
I flipped the cake onto the dish too quickly hence the not so picture perfect crack, I was impatient to try it! Next time I make this I may up the bananas to 4 and brown the butter first to add more depth to the flavor profile. I'll update this post if I do that and let you know how it turns out. 

Comments

Popular Posts