Let's start with dessert!

This blog is way overdue! I spent too much time trying to decide what I wanted it to look like and I STILL am not sure what that is. I know, I know, I have too many great ideas in my tiny little head of mine :). So here we are, it's almost 2011. On the top of my list of things to do is this food blog, so here we go- welcome and I hope you enjoy!

I decided to try something new for dessert for Christmas dinner this year. I usually make my world famous pumpkin pie but came across this recipe recently in a Martha Stewart magazine. I have never made cake before, it seemed like such a big project to take on. I had images of flour all over the kitchen, exploding batter in the oven, loud noises of pans dropping on the floors... cake baking seemed scary to me. Then I stumbled across this Apple Blackberry Cake recipe and thought "I can make this!". Since I am in Honolulu for the holidays, they don't have blackberries here so we subbed it with blueberries and it turned out DEE-licious. This cake is good for breakfast or brunch and can be served with whipped cream or ice cream if you want a decadent dessert. It's also a show stopper, it's so very pretty to look at in my opinion.








APPLE BLUEBERRY CAKE

INGREDIENTS
makes one 9" cake, serves 8 to 12

Granulated sugar for pan
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter,  melted. PLUS more butter to grease the pan
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
2-3 big Granny Smith OR McIntosh apples (about 1 pound), peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges
3/4 cup blackberries, blueberries, OR raspberries (use any berry that is available to you)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)


DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9" springform cake pan, and dust with granulated sugar. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, milk and eggs. Then add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and whisk together.

2. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Arrange the apple wedges over the batter, and sprinkle with the berries. Gently press the fruit into the batter. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and the cinnamon, and sprinkle over the fruit. 





Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter pieces. Bake until top is dark gold, apples are tender, and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.


VoilĂ , cake for everyone!
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts