My favorite salad EVER

Ahhh the benefits of living in LA, today it's 80 degrees outside... just gorgeous! I hope my fellow LA friends have had a chance to enjoy this weather. In honor of Mr. Sun granting us with his very powerful presence today, I wanted to share with you my favorite salad recipe. It was inspired from a soba noodle salad I ate in midtown New York a few years back. It was a monster of a plate with soba on the bottom, tofu, avocado, veggies and greens piled up high on top of the noodles. I thought the dish was brilliant! I love salads but sometimes they just don't fill you up. The combo of the buckwheat noodles and salad was perfect and satisfied the hunger in my belly.

CALI SOBA SALAD
Serves 1


INGREDIENTS
Half serving of soba noodles (I like to use the following brand because they are proportioned out by serving)


1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
Half a ripe avocado, cut into 4 pieces lengthwise
Cucumber Slices
Tomato Slices
Grated carrots
Handful of salad greens
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Nori "aka seaweed" strips (optional)
Asian dressing, use whatever you have on hand. (I like this oil-free Shiso dressing you can find at Japanese markets.)


DIRECTIONS
1. Boil water in a pot and cook the soba noodles for 5 minutes. Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Put noodles on plate or in a big bowl and add the garlic powder and sesame oil. Stir the noodles with a fork so they are coated with the garlic and oil.
3. This step is optional, I like to sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and nori strips on top of the noodles.
4. Layer the salad on top of the soba noodles. Put the salad greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and avocado on top.
5. Lightly dress the salad with the dressing. Add freshly ground pepper if you desire.

Have fun with this salad and use whatever ingredients you like. I have used radishes, tofu, beets and salmon with this dish. It's a pretty light meal so if you're super hungry you can make extra noodles or add more toppings. It's really easy to make and super healthy.... ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts