Grilled Sammie with extra cheese please!

Something about a warm grilled sandwich in my belly makes me feel good all over. I especially love grilled cheese sammies where the bread is toasted just right and the cheese just oozes out after each bite. Butter on the outside, dijon on the inside and simple ingredients in the middle make me a happy girl. Yesterday I realized I still had some goat cheese in my fridge so I decided to make a sandwich with Black Forest Ham, goat cheese, mozzarella, basil and some honey. Really it was all the things that sounded interesting in my fridge at the time and boy was this one a winner!


NOT YOUR ORDINARY GRILLED HAM & CHEESE
Serves 1


INGREDIENTS
2 slices of bread, any kind of bread will do- white, wheat, rye, pumpernickel etc.
Spreadable butter
Dijon mustard
Honey
Freshly ground black pepper
Sliced Black Forest Ham
1 Tomato
Goat Cheese
Sliced Mozzarella
Fresh Basil - about 4 leaves

DIRECTIONS
1. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
2. Spread dijon mustard on the opposite side of the bread.
3. Cut about a 1/4" piece of goat cheese and spread it on the dijon side of the sliced bread until the whole side is covered with cheese.
4. Drizzle honey on top of the goat cheese. If you really like honey feel free to add more than what I did pictured below. I think the honey is the perfect balance to the saltiness of the ham and cheese. In fact next time I will be adding more sweetness to my bread! Then add a little black pepper on top the honey.


5. Layer the basil leaves on top of the honey side of the bread. Then your ham slices, then the sliced tomato and last put not least the sliced mozzarella. Feel free to put as much ham in your sammie, this isn't Subway!!
6. Put the other slice of the bread, dijon side down on top of the sandwich. Now you're ready to grill it up!
7. Grill each side in a medium-high heat pan for about 2 minutes each side. You can lift up the sandwich to see if it has reached crispy perfection and a nice toasted brown color.

Now it's time to enjoy your grilled sammie with fresh fruit or chips!

Comments

  1. I just drooled on my desk reading this post. :) I was watching The Cooking Channel or Food Network this weekend and there was a burger on it that had two grilled cheese sandwiches on either side in place of the buns. Your sammie sounds a lot better and more manageable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is it easy, it is quite tasty as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts