Spaghetti peaaase!

Hey there friends! I have disappeared into new apartment land, trying to settle into my new space. It's been great so far but it's taken up most of my time away from this blog. Hopefully you have been keeping busy and enjoying a beautiful summer like the one we are having in Los Angeles.

Last week I decided to try a new recipe, I was craving pasta and stumbled across this one. I had chickpeas in my pantry so naturally I had to try this dish out. I actually used only half of the chickPEAS in the original recipe and put in some green PEAS as well. So I thought it would be funny to call this dish "Spaghetti peaase" as in give me more spaghetti cause it's damn tasty. Here's the version I made last night...

SPAGHETTI PEAASE
Adapted from a Smitten Kitchen recipe. Serves 2-3 people.






INGREDIENTS
Half a can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
5 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pancetta, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
Pinch of chile flakes
1 (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 cup green peas (frozen peas are fine)
15 basil leaves, chopped (more leaves if you really love basil)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 pound spaghetti
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese


DIRECTIONS
1. In a blender or food processor, combine chickpeas with chicken stock and pulse a few times until chickpeas are chopped.
2. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil and pancetta. Saute for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Add onions, garlic and chile flakes. Continue cooking until onions and garlic are translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add chickpea mixture, green peas, tomatoes and basil and let simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I found this sauce didn't need much salt and pepper but my taste buds will be different than yours :).


4. While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta immediately and rinse in cold water.
5. Toss pasta with chickpea sauce in the large pot you cooked the pasta with (off the heat). Season with salt and pepper again if needed. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. MMMM DIG IN :)!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts