My New Favorite Roast Chicken

I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for new ways to make chicken. Especially simple versions that have some sort of yummy marinade where I can just throw it into the oven. I have to thank David Lebovitz for this savory French recipe. I was quite surprised to see soy sauce as one of the ingredients to this dish, yes I guess those Parisians love shoyu.... who knew? As the chicken was baking in the oven, the most amazing smell took over my whole apartment. If you are looking to impress at your next dinner party or having that special someone over for a meal, make this dish! After the first bite, everyone will be shouting "WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER" :)!!

Roast Chicken with Caramelized Shallots
Serves 4, adapted from a David Lebovitz recipe. Not the best picture below, I forgot the add the parsley and stylize the shot :(.



INGREDIENTS
4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1.5 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
4 large shallots, peeled and minced
Freshly ground black pepper
1.5 pounds of chicken breasts, 4 breasts total
One generous handful of coarsely chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large baking dish (one that will hold all the chicken in a single layer), mix the olive oil through pepper.
3. Toss the chicken in the mixture until they are all completely coated with the shallot sauce.
4. Roast the chicken for about 20 minutes, until it starts to brown on top. Turn the chicken breast over. Scrape the sauce and shallots over the chicken so it doesn't stick to the pan and bake for another 20 minutes OR until the chicken is cooked through and the shallots are well-caramelized.
5. Remove from oven and toss in the chopped parsley to serve.

Side Note: My chicken did not brown but the shallots did brown up nicely. Even though my chicken was a little more white in color, the shallot sauce poured on top made a nice color coating to the dish. You can also use a whole chicken cut up into pieces instead of the chicken breasts but you might be lazy like me and not want to deal with chopping up a whole bird. Chicken breasts with skin will brown up better if you want to try that.


Comments

Popular Posts