Ritz Cracker Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches

If someone were to ask me what my favorite dessert is, I would have to say ice cream sandwiches. I usually go for the old school version, vanilla ice cream between layers of thin chocolate cake like coating. On a hot summer day, the ice cream starts to melt and the cake sticks to your fingers as you quickly try to eat it all up before it turns into a beautiful mess. The other day I stumbled across this very simple recipe and I wanted to use a special ice cream imported Salt & Straw from Portland. They had too many good flavors to choose from but the Almond Brittle with Salted Ganache was calling my name and it has definitely won me over. The buttery crackers and salty/sweet ice cream combo are just the perfect treat for your late night sweet tooth. I dare you to eat just one!

Ritz Cracker Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
inspired by a Joy the Baker recipe, makes 12 sandwiches





INGREDIENTS

3 ounces dark chocolate pieces, melted
24 Ritz crackers
1 pint ice cream
Note: I used Salt & Straw's Almond Brittle with Salted Ganache but you could use any flavor really. Maybe Dulce de Leche, Rocky Road, or plain old Vanilla

DIRECTIONS
1) Melt chocolate pieces in a double broiler on the stove. Stir until smooth and has drip like consistency.
2) Arrange crackers, top side up on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Using a fork, find your inner Andy Warhol and drizzle the melted chocolate over the crackers.
3) Place the crackers in the freezer to chill the chocolate.
4) Remove the crackers from the freezer and flip them so the chocolate is facing the bottom. Place small ice cream scoop worth of ice cream in the center  of 12 crackers.
5) Press remaining crackers on top, chocolate side up to form your mini sandwiches.
6) Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
7) If you have any extras, wrap them individually in plastic wrap so the ice cream keeps it's shape. They will last up to 7 days, maybe ;-).

Comments

Popular Posts