and the Oscar goes to.... Divine Banana Pudding!

In honor of last night's Oscars show, I thought I would share a decadent golden dessert with you. I found this Banana Pudding recipe that had notes of vanilla, banana and ginger flavors and I was intrigued. While I was making this dish I noticed it had this custard consistency and beautiful yellow color that makes it so appealing. Now I'm not really a pudding fan myself but this recipe has definitely converted me!


DIVINE BANANA PUDDING
8 Servings. Adapted from a Cooking Light Recipe.


INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup sugar
5 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups 2% low fat milk, divided
2 large egg yolks
2 vanilla beans, seeds removed OR you can use 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, divided
12 gingersnaps, crumbled and divided
(I used Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Cookie Thins, 36 ginger cookies because they are so thin)
Ready made light whipped cream
1 Tablespoon Bourbon or Rum (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

DIRECTIONS
1. Add 3 cups milk to saucepan. Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl and gradually add to the saucepan, whisk to stir into the milk. (I used a wooden spoon instead of the whisk because I didn't want to scratch my pan. I suppose you could mix the ingredients in a big bowl prior to putting it into the saucepan too.) Heat to 180 degrees, or low heat until tiny bubbles form around the edge (do not boil). Make sure you mix this mixture well so there are not too many lumps in the liquid. Some of the lumps will disappear later in the next step.
2. Combine remaining 1 cup milk and yolks in another bowl, stir with a whisk. Gradually add 1 cup hot milk mixture to yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg yolk mixture to pan. Bring to a boil, cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla seeds. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until mixture cools, stirring occasionally.


Put pudding into a container and cover with lid. Refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled.
3. Mash 2 bananas with a fork, cut remaining 2 bananas into 1/4" thick slices. Stir mashed and sliced bananas and half of the gingersnaps (broken into big pieces) into pudding. Chill 30 minutes.
4. Combine whipped cream and stir in the bourbon or rum if desired. If you don't want the alcohol skip this step.
5. Spoon 2/3 cup pudding into each of the dessert glasses. Divide remaining gingersnaps among the servings. Top each glass with 2 Tablespoons whipped cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts.

Couple notes: this recipe will take a long time to make so make sure you have a few hours in the afternoon to prepare if you are serving it that same evening. Also you should make this the same day you will eat it, the bananas and cookies turn a little mushy if the pudding has been sitting for awhile.

Now eat and fall in love with this banana delight! You'll thank me later I'm sure :)

Comments

  1. I want to make this. No. I want to EAT this. You seem to be very good at making it so... you know... if you feel like making me some, please don't hesitate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time I make some you'll have to come over! it was sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts