Spicy Linguine with Asari Clams

I've never cooked clams before, unbelievable right? Maybe I was under the impression the cleaning process was painful with flashbacks of my Dad gutting fresh fish in our kitchen when I was a kid. He would bring home fish that he caught while out at Coconut Island and start hacking away. Blood covering the kitchen countertops, oh the horror! Unfortunately that experience turned me off eating the abundant sashimi in my home. I missed out on all the maguro that my Dad ate daily. I did try it once and thought to myself, am I eating raw ham? And they say I'm Japanese, what's wrong with me? Thankfully now I have an addiction for raw fish and no longer make my relatives uncomfortable at the dinner table. My heart jumps for joy and does back flips every time I see a plate full of yummy sashimi with beautiful uni in front of me :).

At my last trip to the Japanese grocery store, I saw these asari clams in the seafood section. They were these cute little clams with beautiful shells and I remembered I had a simple pasta recipe for them at home. Plus these little suckers were easy to clean and cook! This dish is very similar to the "Linguine con le Vongole" recipes you may find online. Of course this version is slightly different, the full-bodied broth with the addition of chili and cayenne pepper is what makes this dish way more exceptional in my opinion.

Spicy Linguine with Asari Clams
Serves 4, adapted from a recipe by Jean-Georges Vongerichten


INGREDIENTS
8 ounces dried linguine
1/3 cup bottled clam juice
3 Tablespoons dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
Kosher salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/3 cup finely diced carrots
1/3 cup finely diced celery
1 large shallot, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh red Thai chile
4 dozen Asari clams (also known as Manila clams, scrubbed and cleaned well)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

DIRECTIONS
1. Soak the clams in cold water for about 45 minutes to clean out the sand. Then scrub them so they are nice and clean.
2. Cook the linguine in salted water as directed on the package, drain and set aside when done.
3. Stir together clam juice and wine and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the carrot through chile and a touch of salt. Cook, stirring for about 4 minutes.
5. Add the clams and clam juice mixture to the pan, cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, just until the clams open for about 5 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and add the pasta to the pan. Toss gently so the pasta is glazed by the sauce.
7. Transfer pasta to shallow bowls and garnish with the cayenne pepper and parsley. If you want to drizzle a touch of olive oil on top, go for it!

Now dig in  :)!!

Comments

Popular Posts